Here is a link to a fascinating article about reducing our plastic use in June.
The challenge is not to use disposable, single use plastic for either a day, week or month in June, with the aim of using environmentally friendly products and containers instead.
Some things are impractical, I’m afraid to say (anybody know how to get hold of toothpaste without using a plastic tube or container?!) but others are much easier.
- Use cloth carrier bags for shopping
- Take a lunch box to work not buy plastic wrapped sandwiches
- Use a re-usable drinks bottle (which would probably be plastic anyway!)
- No ready meals
- Reuse plastic bags for veg (that you would buy loose in supermarkets e.g. mushrooms)
- Buy glass milk bottles
- Refill bottles where available (Ecover washing up liquid etc.)
- Don’t use clingfilm/ plastic wrap – put food in a container
- Be selective with what food and drink you buy
It does seem to be all food and drink doesn’t it? I am going to try this in June I think. But I work in a restaurant, so it will be hard to get away from single use plastic there!
I think the key to reducing your use and the recycling of plastics is to be aware of what is coming into the house in the first place.
Just a quick thought for today, Ellen xx