No pics or updates this time, instead I have some questions for you.
I have a varied yet creative collection of hobbies and I know a lot of readers of this blog do too. I like reading, writing, blogging, baking, sewing, candle making, cross-stitching and so on.
I also like to knit and crochet and it’s getting to the point where I would like to start designing my own patterns. In truth I already have lots of times. I have made about 7 or 8 blankets and never followed a pattern. I have made 100s of scarves and never followed a pattern. Most of the time things appear in my mind and get made!
But I never write the patterns down.
I was just wondering…
Is anyone who reads this blog on Ravelry? (It’s basically Facebook for people who knit and crochet).
- Do you design and sell your own patterns on there?
- Is it easy to do?
- Roughly how many patterns do you sell each month?
- What kind of patterns sell best? Hats, Shawls…
- I know Ravelry take 3.5.% of what you make each month (depending on circumstances etc.) and I know you have to pay taxes on top of that…is what you make worth it? (see, I’m not being rude and asking how much you make every month!)
- Do you offer free patterns as well as selling them?
- How much time do you invest in updating your profiles, dealing with enquiries, dealing with issues / refunds / problems etc?
- I’m in the UK and would have to pay VAT and any European Union (for now!!!!) extras too. Any thoughts on people in the UK who sell on Ravelry?
- If you are not a designer, but buy from Ravelry, how much realistically would you be prepared to spend on a pattern? (I know it depends on what you are buying)
Those are just a few questions I have been thinking about.
I would appreciate any thoughts you have. And you never know, you might get some ideas from the answers too!
Thanks a bunch